Friday, January 30, 2009

Can I tell you about my Grandpa?


He was so patient. The man spent most of his life with four opinionated daughters and a wife. And he stood by them and patiently listened to what they had to say about cooking, and quilting, and curtains. A perfect example of this - the last time they came to visit we drove down to L.L. Bean. Four women and Grandpa. He patiently followed us around the store content to let us browse. "So it's you and four ladies today huh sir? They're working you hard." says the sales clerk. Something that probably could have been said to him every day of his life. And he just answers, "Yup." with a smile.

Grandpa didn't like to sit still. He always wanted a project. There was never a time that he came to visit that didn't something worked better by the time he left. Screen doors, garbage disposals, thermostats. When he moved away from his farm into the suburbs he would mow my aunt's lawn every week, and shovel her walk. And when there wasn't a project in front of him he would even find things to do in the kitchen. When he was in charge of stirring the fudge it always turned out better!

He was full of knowledge. Maybe not in a scholarly way - but in an ask-how-a-car-engine-works-and-he-could-tell-you-exactly kind of way. Take him on a Lake Winnipesaukee cruise and you'll find him at the back of the boat watching the engine's work. Take him shopping in a remodeled mill and he can explain to you just want all of the old iron pulley's and tools are for. Before I could drive away in my first car Grandpa made sure I knew how to change a tire, how to check the oil, how to replace windshield wiper fluid. My bit of car knowledge came from him.

"Ho-Hum." When I was little and would go to visit Grandma and Grandpa I always knew it was time for bed when I heard him say, "Ho-Hum" in a big yawning voice. Now sometimes when I start to yawn I find myself saying the same thing.
I am going to miss him!


Grandma, Bran, Meg, Me and Grandpa

2 comments:

Bex =] said...

Did he ever come to our ward?
I think I've seen him...
In fact, I'm pretty sure I have.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken.

Huh... But I could have sworn that he had.

But, anywho. I hope everything is chill. And I'm sorry about that. I lost my grampie when I was very little, but I still have memories of him. =]
And it's not like he's really gone, so there's comfort in that, for sure. =]
I hope your grammie and mumma are doing at least a little better. =]

Megan Lewis said...

He sounds like a wonderful man. I know you will miss him a great deal. What a blessing to have been apart of his life. I love you girl.