December is my favorite time of year.
Why?
It's cold... so you can wear sweaters without a second thought. That's not to say that I don't wear them during other seasons... but at least in December I can wear them without Meg (my sis) and Shelby shaking their heads...;)
You can listen to Christmas music as much as you want without any shame. They day after Thanksgiving I woke up.... ran down stairs and popped in Josh Groban's Noel CD. And the Christmas music has been going ever since. I have three Christmas music stations preset in my car. We got to sing Christmas hymns in our first Rochester Ward choir practice. And on Sunday I went to a Messiah Sing-along and listened so some pretty wonderful soloists. And this was all before December 1. Think of how much more is to come!
You get to transform your house from the everyday to festive fabulous-ness... I had to work on Saturday... and it was a pretty frustrating day to say the least and I knew it was going to be even longer as I had to bake a load of bread and cookies for a YSA activity the next day. But when I got home and walked in the door I noticed Christmas lights on the mantle and above our kitchen cabinets, evergreen garland, pictures wrapped in paper and bows, the Christmas tree lit up and a candle in each window. For those of you who've never been in New England for Christmas let me show you something.... wait. I think that's going to be my next reason.
I'm in New England. In other places I've lived, people cover the outside of their houses in lights. And of course some people still do that here... but more often than not they keep it simple. There is a wreath on the door, a candle in each window and it's so beautiful I don't ever want to leave.
Magic. Even if you're not a kid December still feels like a magical month. Laugh if you want... but it's true. You hear stories of people doing good things, thinking of and serving others and you can't help but be better.
Christmas Stories. If you don't know this about me I love to read. But more than that I love to read to people. When I was student teaching my favorite part of the day was "read-aloud" time when the students sat around and you read a few stories. Love it!! My mom works at a library - in the Children's department and last night they had a Polar Express night. And because their story-reader got sick, I got to do it instead! It was so much fun... And I got a little reminder of why I loved teaching... and don't want to work in an office for the rest of my life...:)
Life is good.

1 comment:
After your first line about sweaters I said under my breath, "Yeah not like she hasn't worn a sweater on the fourth of July" and then a couple lines later I read the meg and shelby comment and I busted up laughing. Oh Ash it is frightening how well we know each other. Mostly because we're the same person.
Post a Comment