Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Countdown....

Christmas is almost here. According to my Google countdown clock it is 2 days, 20 hours, 29 min, 8 secs.....7 secs...6 secs... away to be exact. I'm trying to care less about the gifts I receive this Christmas and focus more on Christ. Some of you might have mastered this already... but I haven't.

So - I've been reading reading and thinking about it a lot lately. My mom brought home a book she picked up when they dropped off Meg in UT. The text is familiar- the Luke 1 and 2 account of the Christmas story. But the illustrations were beautiful. It brought the story to life for me this Christmas. One thing that really struck me as I read through was Mary's answer to Gabriel after she had been told what was about to happen to her. She said - "Behold the handmaiden of the Lord, be it unto me according to thy word." I can't imagine what faith it must have taken to say that. I'm sure she was terrified by the enormous call she had been given - but her faith overcame her fear - and thank goodness it did. I want to answer in the same way when something overwhelming comes my way. I am so grateful for her example.

On a side note, I made sugar cookies with a little friend on Friday and I have to say - I think they were some of my best yet. Maybe it was b/c I had a little helper and she was so excited about them. We made hearts, trees, bells, stars, tulips (roses according to her), fish (to tease my mom's fish Gil w/), angels, and bears and man alive they were delicious...:)

2 comments:

Cat[Catastrophe] said...

I think everyone needs to care a little less about what is under the tree and more about why we are celebrating.

Sugar cookies are the most amazing cookies of mankind. They taste delish and they are basically the only kind of cookie that you can make look pretty. haha.

Megan Lewis said...

Hey my friend, I didn't know you've started posting again. I am so excited! Thank you for the wonderful card, I think I will try to do cards next year (so don't give up on me!). Love you!