Wednesday, February 17, 2010


Now, don’t laugh (my mom did when I told her)…
I’m going to run a 5K in April. This is coming from a girl who hated running so much she pretended to be sick on “Field Day” in elementary school, was always one of the last to finish the 7/10 mile we had to do in middle school, and always chose to walk 1 ½ mile instead of jogging 1 mile in High School gym class when that dreaded mile day came. So maybe I can understand a little why my mother lacks faith in me.

Why the change of heart?
1. That’s the next regional YSA activity. A 5K.
2. I need to lose weight (clearly) and I think it will be a welcome side effect of practicing.
3. I want to like running. Lately I’ve been jogging 2 miles at the gym and I haven’t hated it. When I get done I feel a sense of accomplishment (along with a sense of exhaustion (: ).
4. I can do hard things!

I’m trying to tell as many people as I can… so I can’t back out of it. If everyone knows (and don’t worry…I fully realize that “everyone” does not read this blog) then I will feel too ashamed (or prideful maybe) to give up. So…. hold me to it. I got through three miles for the first time the other day. Don’t bother asking me how long I took to do it, I won’t tell you. (too embarrassing), but I did it. And now I just have to get faster so when race time comes I don’t make a complete fool out of myself. ;)

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Good Luck Ash, you can totally do it!!! I'll be checking in with you.

Shelby said...

ash you may have given me the courage to share this with the world. We can do it!

OHLEO!!! said...

That is so awesome! I want to hear all about it!!!!

Happy Huntings said...

Ashlee, you rock! Thanks for motivating me and I'm psyched to learn to love running, too. Alas, I was also the last to come in during the elementary school mile run, always to my whole entire class cheering me in because they were tired of standing around waiting for me. Sadly, I had the humiliating burden to inform them that I still had one more lap to go! But today I passed one more milestone--I ran 3.5 miles straight in 40 minutes! I feel like a superhero and I can just hear those 5th graders applauding. :)